Thursday, November 11, 2010

Where did you go to grad school?

This seems like an innocent enough question, but its one that makes me a little nervous when I first meet new people. Upon first meeting, I assume that most people think I'm fairly normal. Then they ask where I went to school, and things start out well. I say "Yale," and they think I'm smart. Then, I follow that with "Divinity School," and they often go a little wide-eyed. "Is that like seminary?" Yes it is. "To, like, be a minister?" Yes indeed.

At this point, things can go one of five ways:

1) The other person thinks this is great and immediately starts sharing their feelings about why gay people are going to Hell.

2) The other person thinks this is great, or at least interesting, and we proceed getting to know one another like normal humans.

3) The other person thinks this is horrible and immediately starts telling me that, if I just read The DaVinci Code, I would understand why I'm wasting my life. (True story!)

4) The other person immediately assumes I am judging them and starts explaining why they haven't gone to church in ages but intend to go back, and/or confessing to other "sins."

5) The other person just thinks I'm straight-up crazy.

I'm always hoping for outcome #2, but watching this video reminds me that those who think I'm crazy might be onto something.

Of course, sometimes the conversation goes far enough that I have to explain that I'm not a minister right now and I'm actually still in grad school studying pastoral counseling. YouTube doesn't have a video for that yet, but if they did it would go like this:

Person #1: So you want to study pastoral counseling?

Person #2: Yes.

Person #1: What is that exactly?

Person #2: (Blank stare.)

The end.

1 comment:

  1. I should point out the one and only inaccuracy in this video: seminary involved copious amounts of both fun and costumes.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!