Sunday, November 14, 2010

MacGyver does yoga.


I had a couple of adventures this weekend:

Friday evening, I was sitting at home lamenting the fact that I had no plans. I was veering into dangerous negative thought territory- "Why have I lost touch with so many friends?", "Why don't I do more dating?", etc.- when I paused my pity party to use the bathroom... and got trapped in there. As I tried to exit, I realized that my doorknob and door, both in advanced stages of disrepair, had finally given out. Several screws  and a metal plate had come off the knob and wedged themselves into the decaying wood of the doorframe, making the door impossible to open. My roommate was out and I had no idea when he would be back. Being someone who prides myself on not being surgically attached to my phone, I did not have my phone. One of my first thoughts was "I do not want to be in the next movie about someone sawing their own arm off." 

What to do? Tap into my inner MacGyver! I spent a few minutes trying to use brute force to get the door open, but that was only making the situation worse. Then, it occurred to me that removing the doorknob all the way might help. I got some manicure scissors out of the medicine cabinet and was able to use them as a makeshift screwdriver. Slowly, I unscrewed the doorknob and took half of it off the door. This gave me more access to the stuck plate and screws, and after a few more minutes, I was able to remove them and escape. The whole thing lasted about half an hour. Once I got out, I decided that my desire for Friday night excitement had been more than fulfilled and went to bed.

On Saturday, I decided to go to an Intro to Yoga class at my gym. In terms of fitness, my biggest weaknesses are coordination, balance, lower-body flexibility, and core strength. Yoga works on all of those, which is both why I should do it and why I avoid it like the plague. Having spent my whole life over-achieving, its hard for me to attempt something where I know there's no chance I will excel, like running. I'm getting past that, though. Its another thing entirely to attempt something where I know I will suck. For example, yoga.

I have enrolled in several yoga classes in my lifetime and dropped out of all of them after a few sessions because I was just too humiliated to continue. However, after spending a Friday night trapped in my bathroom, I knew that I had reached my humiliation rock-bottom for the weekend and things could only improve. Sure enough, the class went pretty well and I think I'll try another next week. I'm sure MacGyver would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!