Thursday, November 4, 2010

Returning to the scene of the crime.

I saw this video posted on my friend's Facebook page a few days ago, but I didn't watch it until just now. I'm very grateful that my co-workers are at lunch because, even with my loathing for cheesy inspirational music, it totally made me cry. It was like re-living the whole experience, with three notable exceptions:

-The opening festivities. I neither heard nor saw any of that. Keep in mind that this video shows maybe the front third of 30,000+ runners. I was in the back third. I heard nothing but the starting gun and I didn't even see the start line until 30 minutes after the gun fired.

-The monuments. As I watch the beginning and end of this video (ie: the parts when I was doing well), I can remember every little detail of the scenery. In the middle, which happens to be both the most scenic part and the part where I was struggling, I don't remember a thing. I was so completely focused on just putting one foot in front of the other that I totally missed all of the sights. Unfortunately, I didn't recover enough to tune back into my surroundings until we hit the overpass over 395.

-The lines of Marines. These didn't make it into the video, but there were long lines of cheering Marines at both the start and finish lines. Its too bad you don't see it here, because it was a nice way to bookend the race.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!