Monday, November 8, 2010

NYC heroes.


Have you heard about this guy? This is Edison Pena, one of the formerly-trapped Chilean miners who finished the NYC marathon yesterday. You can read all about it here. People gave me a lot of credit for running a 6:10 marathon a couple months after an appendectomy, but that's not much compared to running a 5:40 marathon after being trapped in a mine for 69 days. Amazing! Apparently, he ran up to 6 miles a day by going back and forth inside the mine. I totally understand running as stress relief (that's a big reason I do it), but that is pretty extreme.

I'm also impressed with Meredith Viera and Al Roker from the Today Show, who both ran yesterday and then turned up for work at the crack of dawn this morning. She was even wearing heels! It has to be hard to find motivation to run every day when you get up at 3 or 4am to tape a morning show 6 times a week.

Further Kudos to Jared the Subway guy, Ryan from The Bachelorette, Bobby Flay, and the numerous other celebrities who ran that race. At many points during my race, I was pretty happy that nobody I know could see me. I would not have enjoyed having cameras and fans following me! I prefer to suffer semi-privately.

They aren't celebrities, but I also have to mention my co-worker Monica's family. Her mother, brother, sister, and future brother-in-law all ran, which would be impressive even if said sister and future brother-in-law were not getting married next weekend! The walk to the aisle should feel pretty short now!

For all 2011 NYC marathon hopefuls, the lottery for next year's race opened today. You can apply here. If you get turned down three years in a row, you are guaranteed entry in your fourth year. So, if you think you might want to do it anytime in the next few years, you might as well put your name in!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!