Tuesday, June 1, 2010

My sister, and other things that are awesome.

So, apparently I love hamburgers. Who knew? As I mentioned a couple of days ago, as soon as I bit the bullet and ate a little turkey, I developed an unexpected craving for a hamburger. So, yesterday, I went to a local place that lists the names of their local farm suppliers on the menu and ordered a small cheeseburger to go. I went with the small in case I (a) couldn't bring myself to bite into it, or (b) couldn't finish it. I needn't have worried. Along with the fresh corn I cooked up at home, that cheeseburger made the most delcious and most traditional Memorial Day meal I've had in over 15 years. Yum.

A few days into this meat-eating experiment, I'm still not sure how I feel about it. On the plus side, its exciting to eat some new foods and I do feel a little more full. On the down side, I've spent a good hour or so in the middle of each night feeling nauseated and worrying about both the ethical consequences of my choices and about losing yet another thing that made me cool and different (there have been others).

As I think all of this through, my awesome older sister Meghan, who lives on the Eastern Shore, chimed in with some helpful advice I thought I would pass along: "Hey....was just reading your blog about your meat eating thoughts....and just a thought back to you. I truly believe that if your concern is the treatment of the animals, you may be safer with locally grown, grass fed beef, which I know we can get on this side probably cheaper than you can over there. I swear when I read about it or watch something about the meat industry as a whole, the turkey/chicken thing grosses me out! But there are quite a lot of resources for beef raised humanely. Just my opinion, thought I would share!If you are ever interested, there is a guy who sells at the Chestertown farmer's market, and he has great beef from a farm you can actually go visit not far from where I live. He sells his ground beef for $4.95 lb, which is really good for grass fed beef. It really is good too!" So, the next time you are on the Eastern Shore, go buy some good beef at the Chestertown farmer's market and thank my sister.

In other awesome news, the donations are starting to come in! Thanks so much to those who have already contributed. Those who would like to make a donation can go to http://www.active.com/donate/marathonformurray anytime until the Marine Corps Marathon on October 31, 2010.

Finally, registration for the awesome Annapolis 10-miler is now open! It sells out quick, so get over to http://www.annapolisstriders.org/ as soon as possible if you want to run it this year. I first learned about the A10 in 2001, when some buddies from a previous job decided to run it. It was the first major race for all of them, and they all made it. Most of them have done it every year since, and they have always invited me, but this is the first year I am actually fit enough to do it. So, despite the hills and the crushing August heat and humidity, I am very excited.

3 comments:

  1. Are you talking about the guy from Cedar Run Farms? I bought stuff from him a bunch last Spring/Summer and he's supposed to be one of the vendors at the new farmers market at the Towne Center on Wednesdays. :)

    And, btw, why am I totally intimidated about doing A10 and not at all about MCM?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I second your sister's comment. The Omnivore's Dilemna has converted me to feeling that it is the lives of these animals, more so than their deaths, that is really troubling, and that local, diverse (in what they produce) farms are the way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen H, its the heat, humidity, and hills. I'm intimidated too. I feel like the Zooma was a good practice run, though.

    Jen C, Michael Pollan is literally the voice of my conscience. If I had any spare time, I would make and sell reusable grocery bags that said "WWMPD: What would Michael Pollan do?"

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!