Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Don't light a match...


Having grown up with this kind of stove, I know what natural gas smells like... and that's the smell that greeted me upon entering my office today. The gas people are currently on their way to investigate, but it looks like I might be going home early!

What will I do when I get there? Probably go back to the gym. That's right- go back, because I already went this morning. During this, my first official week of marathon training, I am experimenting with increasing my gym time by going twice several days of the week. The goal is to balance my need to get lots of training in with my short attention span and the recognition that I can not possibly get up any earlier in the morning. I am also taking advantage of my miraculously freed up schedule, in which I don't have to be to work until 9 or 9:30 and get to go home at 4 or 4:30. Yesterday, I got home at 4:45, laid down for 20 minutes, took a 5:30 spin class, and cooked a great dinner from scratch, all in time for my weekly TV party at 8pm. That is literally more "me" time than I used to get in an average week. Awesome.

Speaking of awesome, what I made for dinner last night was migas, one of my all-time favorite meals for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. Here's how you make it. For one big (dinner size portion) or two small (breakfast size) portions, you need:

-2 stale corn tortillas (leave them out for a day or so) broken into pieces

-3 eggs

-1 roma tomato (or 1 small regular tomato)

-1 small onion or 1/2 of a big one

-1 garlic clove

-about 1/4 cup of shredded cheese (cheddar, monterey jack, queso freco- whatever you like)

-olive oil (1-2 tbsp)

-kosher salt (to taste)

-cilantro

1. Dice the tomato, onion, and garlic. (You can remove the seeds from the tomato, but I don't bother.)

2. Heat the oil in a medium pan, then add the tortilla pieces and cook until they get crispy and just a little brown.

3. Add the tomato, onion, and garlic and cook until the onion gets soft.

4. Beat the eggs in a cup or bowl with a pinch of the kosher salt. Pour the eggs over the tortilla and vegetable mixture and cook (turning occasionally with a wooden spoon or spatula) until the eggs set.

5. Add the cheese and cook for a few more seconds until it melts. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cilantro and more salt if needed.

That's it. Very easy and delicious. You can also add pretty much anything else you have around- beans, chorizo, bacon, other vegetables. Just consider how long whatever you add needs to cook to decide when to throw it in. You can also modify the recipe by subbing egg whites, low-fat cheese, et cetera. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so good and much better than the left over pasta I made vanish last night!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!