Thursday, December 9, 2010

Weight Watchers update: So far, so good.

Image from the awesome Natalie Dee- http://www.toothpastefordinner.com/.


I learned a couple of things when I posted about Weight Watchers last week:

1) At least 25% of the people I know have done WW at some time. Maybe 50%.
2) People who do WW like to talk about WW. I had more interest in that blog post than anything I wrote about the marathon. 

Armed with this knowledge, I thought I would give an update on how I'm doing with the new WW:

I'm doing well! The changeover happened in the middle of one of my WW weeks, so I've weighed in twice since then, even though its only been about 10 days. Thus far, I'm down 2 pounds, which is better than I was doing under the old system. Granted,  a big part of this success is due to the fact that, in order to learn the new system, I have been tracking Points and measuring portions diligently. I should have been doing that before, but I wasn't. (Note: tracking and measuring works.)

Still, I think the new system deserves some credit. The new practice of incentivizing healthier foods (like fruit) by making them 0 Points and penalizing unhealthy foods (like alcohol) by raising the Points is definitely pushing me to make healthier choices. I haven't had any alcohol since the changeover; before, I probably would have had some wine with dinner at least twice in 10 days. I've also had more fruits and veggies in the last 10 days than in the month prior. In fact, my new solution to everything is "have a banana." Here's how that sounds in my head:

"I would like some wine with dinner... Maybe I'll have a banana."
"A soft pretzel sounds like a good idea.... but I think I'll have a banana."
"I could definitely eat all of those cookies I'm baking for Christmas. Time for a banana!"

I'm sure you get the idea.

So, thus far, two thumbs up to the new Weight Watchers. I'll continue to keep you posted. How is everyone else doing?

4 comments:

  1. I'm impressed with your willpower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Corinne! You would have been less impressed if you had seen me working on the first batch of Christmas cookies last night. Its going to take a whole lot of running to cope with the baking season!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm.....see, in my head, wine is made form grapes, which are fruit, soooooo.....no points! Doesn't it work like that? ;)
    Just read your Christmas cookei update.....doing my baking binge this weekend. Probably won't be as well-behaved as you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish the wine thing worked that way. I've been reading some leader blogs on the WW site and they are all complaining about the alcohol thing. Even the CEO. I think WW and AA will merge any day now.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!