Thursday, December 2, 2010

My favorite things, part 2: the new Weight Watchers

As many who read this blog already know, I've been a member of Weight Watchers off and on since October 2003. Prior to joining WW, my weight had fluctuated for years, and I only had the vaguest notions as to why. Starting in the 8th grade, I lost and gained a decent amount of weight at least three times, and it always felt like it just happened. I knew some things that I was doing right, and some things that I was doing wrong, but I really could not have told you why my weight changed when it did. This meant that I had no idea how to replicate the weight losses, nor how to prevent the weight gains.

For me, WW was a revelation. At the time I joined, I thought I weighed, at most, 165lbs. At my first meeting, I learned that I actually weighed 177lbs. Oops. I'm not sure if this was the heaviest I have ever been because I never paid much attention to the scale before WW. In fact, as I soon learned, I had never paid much attention to anything regarding food, weight, or exercise before. Obviously, I knew that eating a banana was better than eating a cookie, and that going for a walk was better than watching TV. Beyond that, though, I really didn't have a clue.

When I joined WW, the program used the Points system. Under that plan, all foods were assigned a Points value based on calories, fat, and fiber. Essentially, the Points values came from calories, with penalties for fat and rewards for fiber. Exercise was measured in Points too, with a formula based on your weight, the duration of the activity, and your level of effort. Every day, you tracked your Points like a checkbook. You had a balance at the beginning of the day (based on your age, weight, and activity level), and then you deducted points when you ate and added them back when you exercised. As part of the program, you got tools to manually figure out Points for food and exercise, or you could pay extra for books and/or an online program that listed Points for various supermarket foods and restaurant meals.

By the end of my first week doing WW, I had a pretty solid idea of why I had gained weight. In the beginning, my daily Points balance was somewhere around 24. When I added up the Points for my 3-4 times/week Dunkin Donuts breakfast (bagel with lowfat cream cheese, OJ, and coffee with cream), it came out to 18. Baja Fresh, which was one of my favorite restaurants at the time, did not have a single menu item under 25 points. Even when I was eating healthier foods, my portions were 2-3 times bigger than they needed to be. I also realized that exercise, which I had always used as a free pass to eat whatever I wanted, could only do so much. A 60-minute spin class, which is some pretty serious exercise, would only cover the bagel portion of that DD breakfast.

Losing weight with WW the first time felt easy. I had so many bad habits when I started that simply eliminating those was enough to make me drop weight quickly. I started October 1st and had lost 40 pounds by late May. At that time, I relied heavily on frozen entrees and other diet convenience foods. I also tracked my Points religiously and exercised semi-regularly.

I managed to maintain that initial weight loss for close to three years. Weight started to creep back on when I stopped paying attention to things like portion sizes, got more into cooking, and ate out more often. Then, came the Dark Days of late '07- mid '08 when my life was a total mess and all of my energy was focused on just getting through the day. By the time I emerged from that, I had gained back at least 15 pounds and it was time to head back to good 'ol WW.

I've been trying to get back on the WW bandwagon off and on for a couple of years now, with limited success. Most of the problem has been me- my crazy schedule and lack of willingness to think about one more thing. However, the second time around, I've had some gripes with the Points system. For the past few years, I've been trying to remove most processed foods from my diet. This includes things like WW frozen entrees, fat-free "cheese," and artificial sweeteners. Without those convenience foods, I have found it much harder to stay within my daily Points range without feeling ravenous all the time. Also, having a Points system based mainly on calories meant that fresh, healthy foods (like bananas) sometimes had more Points than super-processed diet foods (like 100-calorie pack cookies).

This is where the new Weight Watchers comes in. Starting this past Monday, WW rolled out a totally revamped Points system. The process is still the same- you track Points for food and exercise, aiming to stay within a daily target- but the way the Points are calculated is totally different. Now, the formula is based on protein, fat, fiber, and carbs. Also, the new formula generally favors healthy, whole foods. For example, most fresh fruit now has 0 Points. Before, fruit was often high in Points because its natural sugars make it high in calories. Whole grain carbs are also lower in points now, especially compared to refined carbs. In the past, the difference was negligible. More fruit and more whole grains is great news for me, because I love those things anyway.

There are some tougher changes, too. For example, the Points value of alcohol is now way higher than before. Also, having to re-learn Points is a challenge. Over the course of 7 years, I had memorized the Points for pretty much everything I eat regularly. I had also developed the ability to "guesstimate" Points pretty closely just by looking at a food's calorie count, and I knew the right Points-range for a meal pretty instinctively (ie: 6-10 for dinner). Now, I have to unlearn all of that and learn a new system. How many Points for my morning protein bar? Used to be 4, now its 5. Is 5 a lot for breakfast under my new Points budget? I'm still figuring that out. Finally, many of the WW materials I had amassed over the years are now useless. Earlier this week, I recycled all of my old Points guides and forked over about $15 for new materials (on top of my montly charge for using the online program). To the credit of WW, they put all of the new materials on mega-sale (50-75% off), so buying them wasn't as painful as I had expected.

Even with the challenges, I can't complain too much about the new system. Its not like I didn't know that drinking alcohol is bad for weight loss. Now, I'll be even more careful about that. Also, I was long overdue for a reassessment of my go-to foods, recipes, and portion sizes. Being mindful about those things is what helped me lose the first time, and I had not been doing a great job of that lately. Finally, the new fruit rule is worth all of the other changes to me. I already went to the grocery store for a purely fruit-buying trip and I am enjoying eating my bananas and pineapple with reckless abandon.

So, on the whole, I think the new Weight Watchers is probably an improved Weight Watchers. I would encourage anyone who wants to lose some weight or just eat healthier to check it out. One caveat is that I highly recommend going to meetings for at least a few weeks, as opposed to just doing the online program. I used to go to meetings, but I am online-only right now because of my schedule. The online materials are a great supplement to meetings, but I think that the introductory materials they give out at meetings are much easier to follow. Also, I am really missing having a meeting leader to explain these changes to me.

I'll keep you posted on how I do with the new programs! WW friends, I would love to hear from you too!

3 comments:

  1. This post is my favorite thing for today. I've really struggled with how much weight I've put on in the past few years. I've tried WW online off and on, but I knew my main problem was lack of exercise. I'm finally solving that one and I'm considering going back to WW in the new year, but I have decided I'm only going back if I'm going to meetings. I need some support and some accountability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just started on the new program on Tuesday and already I like it better. I'd gotten used to the old way, too-- but I had also started to gain weight lately and this change comes at the perfect time for me. Being jarred out of my usual ways means that yes, some things are worth more points now-- but the focus on healthy food means I am eating way more and finding it much more pleasant. I feel a lot less stress and restriction now, too-- under the new system I have way more points at my disposal. And really, it changes the way I look at booze and is making me drink less, which is always a good thing. The only things I don't like are the perhaps overly-fancy website (can't use at work since we can't use ActiveX) and the fact that I feel asea not knowing the mathematical formula they are using to calculate points. My two cents!
    PS Alicia-- I will always remember your initial weight loss as the beautiful time in my life when I inherited a ton of great clothes ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Julia- You did have a baby, a husband at war, and a new church. At the same time. If anyone has a good excuse for putting on a few pounds, its you! Anyway, I hope you like the new system. I definitely think its better when you go to meetings, but even just tracking again is getting me to be a little more thoughtful. Also, I agree with you about the exercise. I managed to keep weight off while living with the Matts and Whitney (no mean feat), but I was exercising regularly then. It was when I stopped exercising that it piled back on. But I've been exercising way more than ever in the past 18 months and haven't lost an ounce. In my experience, exercise will keep weight off, but it won't take it off.

    Meghan, I think a lot of people remember my weight loss that way. :) Always happy to help!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!