Tuesday, October 19, 2010

November 1st.

Lately, Katie C. and I have been discussing our plans for November 1st, aka: the day after the marathon. This momentous day will mark the end of six months of preparation, training, and fundraising, as well as the end of our heaviest month in terms of school work. Apparently, our professors don't realize that we are supposed to be tapering right now because the readings, papers, and presentations just keep coming. We have both coined lovely terms for this month, but this is a family blog, so I will not be writing them here.

On November 2nd (after I vote of course), I will have to turn my attention to everything I have neglected over the course of training. November 1st, though, is just for me. Katie has her own plans, conceived during her last long run, which involve a gong, a bottle of champagne, a shetland pony, and a pinata. Mine are not quite that exciting, but here you go:

November 1st

5:30am Wake up smiling. Immediately down some Advil. Put multiple ice packs back in refrigerator.

5:45am Go to gym for Group Power. This sounds crazy, but I'm dead serious. I have gone to this class the morning after just about every big race I've run, and I swear it makes me feel better. I lighten the weights big-time and it gives me a chance to stretch and move every muscle that is screaming at me. Also, people in the class are always very congratulatory.

7:00am Eat a light breakfast- something like steak and eggs. And maybe some homefries.

7:30am Nap. 

9:00am Snack. Maybe a grilled cheese sandwich. I'll be starving by this point.

9:30am Sports massage. If you have never had one of these, they are amazing. Basically, someone stretches you out for an hour. Its exactly what you want after a long run- someone to just grab your leg and pull until it feels better.

11:00am Go to the mall and buy a piece of clothing that is not moisture-wicking.  While there, stop at Chipotle for another snack.

12:30pm Write triumphant blog entry. It may be nothing but several screens full of the words "I DID IT!"

1:00pm-5:30pm Loaf. Order a pizza (or two) and sit on the couch catching up on DVR'd TV and napping.

5:30pm Go to DC for dinner with some of my favorite former colleagues. Order obscene amount of food and eat it in 10 minutes. Attempt to distract friends so that I can sneak additional bites off their plates.

8:30pm Hit McDonald's drive-thru on way home from dinner for a milkshake and maybe some fries.

9:30pm Head to bed with my two best friends: ice pack and Advil. Go to sleep smiling.

1 comment:

  1. You forgot one key component to all of it - all while wearing your medal around your neck and basking in the glow that you are a marathoner. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!