Sunday, October 24, 2010

Amazing women, part 2.

I am in a period of semi-radio silence here thanks to two major assignments due this Wednesday and Thursday (worst timing ever). I have to take a second, though, to acknowledge the amazing ladies of the United Methodist Women and Women at the Well Groups at my church, St. Andrew's UMC.

A couple weeks ago, I wrote about how they invited me to their most recent meeting to talk about Dr. Murray and my fundraiser. Since that night, I've been getting notes and cards from various ladies with checks enclosed. To date, I had recieved $165, which I thought was amazing. Then, just this morning, the UMW president came up to me at church and handed me an envelope containing another $300. Unbelievable! So, now I am officially over the $2000 mark and just $279 short of my goal of $2500.

I've been a member of St. Andrew's since before there even was a St. Andrew's. When I was just a baby, the congregation that became St. Andrew's was meeting in the basement of my grandmother's church while our church building was built. My earliest church memories are from that basement, and I can remember when we moved into the building we occupy now. Many of the women who wrote me checks for this fundraiser have been in my life for 10, 15, 20 years or longer. Some of them taught me when I was a child. They are truly my family, and like a good family, they have supported me in just about everything I have ever done.

I have had my ups and downs in how I think about church over the years, but my feelings about these people have never wavered. I really don't know what I would do without them. I will certainly be thinking about them next Sunday and I look forward to sharing this accomplishment with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!