Monday, October 18, 2010

Counting down the days...

I just sent the following message to all my friends and family. The big day is fast approaching- please help in any way you can!

Dear friends-

Its hard to believe, but the Marine Corps Marathon is a mere 13 days away (gulp)! The bulk of my training is done and my practice races are run. All that remains now is two more weeks of "taper" training, the race itself, and one last fundraising push.

I do not have adequate words to explain how much your support has meant to me over the course of my training. There have been some low moments (fatigue, illness, the removal of a minor organ) and the
thought of all of you cheering me on has definitely kept me going.

I am writing one last time to ask for your support in two ways:

1. If you have not already done so, please consider making a donation to the Kelly Murray Scholarship Fund at Loyola. To date, I have raised $1490 toward my goal of $2500, and Katie and I have raised a combined $1940 toward our goal of $5000. This money is going to make a huge difference in the lives of students in the PhD program, which was a real passion of Dr. Murray's.

Through October 31st, you can make a secure online donation at http://www.active.com/donate/marathonformurray. Or, you can send a check made out to Loyola University to:

Annual Giving
Loyola University Maryland
4501 N. Charles St.
Baltimore, MD 21210

If you donate by check, be sure to write "Kelly Murray Scholarship Fund" on the memo line, and let me know about it so I can add your donation to my total.

2. If you live in or near DC, come to the race! Spectator info is available at http://www.marinemarathon.com/race_info/spectators.htm. The race starts at 8am, and I expect to finish somewhere between 1 and 1:45pm. My bib number is 20398. After the race, I will be meeting family in the "B" family meetup area at the Finish Festival, so that's a good place to look for me. If you are planning to come, let me know so I can look for you, though I may leave my memory and abilty to think clearly on the race course!

Once again, I can't thank you enough for all of your love and support!

Take care,
Alicia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!