Thursday, September 23, 2010

Walk it off, part 2.

As I mentioned in the last post, the new season of "The Biggest Loser" started on Tuesday. While there are some legitimate complaints about this show (setting up unrealistic expectations, making everything about the number on the scale, etc.), I have always appreciated it for the way that it explores the deeper issues that cause people to lose control of their lives and their bodies. On the premiere, the host and trainers travelled around the country narrowing a group of semi-finalists into the final group of contestants for the season. Each semi-finalist got a brief intro profile, and most of them talked about experiences of grief and trauma. Abusive/addicted parents, sibling loss, loss of a child, and abusive relationships all came up more than once.

As a society, I think we're making progress in how we talk about grief and trauma. Compared to our parents, my siblings and I were taught to be a little more open about difficult feelings, and my nieces and nephews are being taught to be much more open. Still, I can't tell you how often I do a family history with a client and uncover multiple losses and traumas which they have never really talked about with anyone. As the contestants on "The Biggest Loser" demonstrate, human beings can not just walk away from these experiences unscathed. We need to talk about them and work through them, and we usually need help from someone we trust in order to do it.

Which brings me to a quote that Katie C. shared on her own blog today, from the always-wise Mr. Rogers:"Anything that’s human is mentionable, and anything that is mentionable can be more manageable. When we can talk about our feelings, they become less overwhelming, less upsetting, and less scary. The people we trust with that important talk can help us know that we are not alone." I feel very lucky to be that trusted person for so many people, and very grateful for those who have been that person to me!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!