Thursday, September 30, 2010

On your marks...


Tomorrow is the first day of October, which means that the fall race season is about to kick into high gear. This Sunday, I'll be running the Annapolis Striders' Metric Marathon (about 16.6 miles), which will be my longest race to date and my longest before the marathon. In two weeks, Val and I (along with many other running buddies) are doing the Baltimore Half-Marathon. I remember watching that on the treadmill last year and thinking "I wonder if I could do that one day." If you had told me then that this year's race would actually be my fourth half-marathon, I would not have believed you! Then, I think we all know what's happening on October 31st (gulp). After that, I have a few short races in November and then my (hopefully) triumphant return to the Striders' Anniversary 15K in December. I did that one last year and it wasn't pretty, but I'll save that story for later.

A few updates:

Earlier this week, I got the above photo in the mail. This is me headed for the finish of the Parks Half-Marathon, 16 days after my surgery. I've never paid for one of these professional race photos before because they are crazy expensive, but I thought this was a memory worth preserving. I think I will put it in a frame with an engraved plaque that says "walk it off."

After I wrote about my awful run last Saturday, I got word from many other running buddies that Saturday was an awful day for them too. Funny how these things can be contagious. The one person for whom it was not a bad day was Val, who placed first in her age group at a 10K! Amazing! Its incredible how much Val has improved since I met her in January, and I know how hard she worked to get where she is now. Inspirational.

Today, I awoke to find that monsoon season has arrived in Annapolis. My alarm went off at 5:30am and I should have gone to boot camp, but it was cold, dark, and pouring. The last thing I wanted to do was go outside, even just to go to my car. So, I turned off the alarm and the next thing I knew it was 8:15am, aka: the exact time that I am supposed to leave for work. D'oh! The moral of this story: don't skip boot camp!

Finally, the current combined donation total is $1670. We have progressed a lot in the past couple of weeks, but we have a long way to go to hit $5000. If you haven't donated yet, please do it now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!