Sunday, September 5, 2010

"It worries me."


If you've ever seen "Project Runway" (and if you haven't, you should), you've probably seen Tim Gunn say "it worries me" while making the face pictured above. 

I thought of this picture yesterday when I went out and attempted to run for the first time since my surgery. The good news is that my breath issues were not a problem. Owing in part to the dramatically cooler weather, I was able to walk briskly for a good 45 minutes. The trouble came when I tried to pick it up to a run. As soon as I did that, the pounding made my surgery incisions flare up painfully. I felt like I was getting hundreds of little punches in the gut. Not good. I didn't push it, because I know that will only make things worse. I think I'm just going to have to wait until things heal up a bit. Unfortunately, I am not a quick healer when it comes to things like cuts and bruises. I used to think it was anemia from all my years as a vegetarian, but the added iron I'm getting from eating red meat doesn't seem to be helping much. So, I'm worried. Next week's half-marathon is looking more and more like next week's $55 I can't get back. Boo.

As long as I can't spend two hours at the gym every day, I'm continuing to channel that energy into developing my beginner sewing skills. I've been working on sewing since mid-2008, when I started watching "Project Runway" and grew envious of the contestants who can make amazing things from scratch. I had an old sewing machine in my attic, something a former roommate purchased at a yard sale for $10 and never used. I pulled it out, ordered some simple sewing books, and spent a good couple weeks figuring out the machine's manufacture date and model number and then hunting down an old manual online. Just learning how the machine works and getting aquainted with the basic tools of sewing took a couple of months. Several times, I've been tempted to just fork over $200 for a newer machine, which would probably be infinitely simpler and easier to use. For some reason, though, I feel a strange loyalty to my early 70's avacado green Kenmore (see previous post for a photo). 

In the past two years, I haven't had the time I would need to devote to sewing to get good (or even competent) at it. Whenever I have blocks of free time though (holidays, blizzards, post-surgery recovery), I try to complete a simple project or two. Little by little, I'm starting to feel like I'm not totally lost, and that feels pretty good.

While I sew, I like to put on old seasons of "Project Runway" for inspiration. Its fun to watch the designers whip up evening gowns in the time it takes me to make a set of placemats or a tote bag. As I once told a friend, its like watching Julia Child while you microwave a burrito.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Alicia!
    I've been lurking on your blog for a little while, following links from FB. Anyway, have you considered walking the half marathon? I know the whole point was to run it as part of building towards a full marathon, but last year I walked the Detroit Half Marathon with my parents and it was a lot of fun, and it totally felt like an accomplishment even though almost no running was involved (just a little bit right at the end when we crossed the finish line like champions). I mean, the most important thing is to heal, and if your body isn't ready it's not ready. But if the problem is just the running, walking is a less strenuous and still fun option. I hope your recovery proceeds quickly and smoothly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds awesome - Project Runway also makes me want to sew. Although, I hope if I ever try, I don't have people like Ivy and Gretchen around.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Molly, I would totally walk it, but this particular one has a strict cut-off time because it closes so many roads. They shut all the aid stations down and sweep people off the course at 2:45, which is faster than I can walk.

    Jen, I do appreciate the lack of annoying people in my little attic studio, although the cats can make cutting fabric a frustrating endeavor. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!