Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Attention single people:

From http://garfieldminusgarfield.net, a strong contender for the funniest website ever.
We are approaching that certain day of the year where many of us fall prey to feeling bad about our single-ness. If this applies to you, take a few minutes and reflect on some words of wisdom from a comedian I heard on my drive home today. I didn't catch his name, but here is a rough approximation of what he said:

"Love is powerful. Love will make you move all the way across the country... just to get away from someone! I think we all have our relationship Vietnams. You know, the relationships that still wake you up in the middle of the night: 'Oh, thank God! For a minute, I thought I was back there! It felt so real!'"

I would not usually repeat a PTSD joke, but I'm making an exception here because I relate to this so much. I have absolutely had dreams where I flashed back to some ridiculous, crazy-making fight with an ex. For example, the ex who got mad at me when I asked him to go to a costume party because costume parties are immature and an insult to his dignity. Or, the ex who accused me of only pretending to have fun when I joined him at a sports event (for the record, I did have fun). I am not always happy about being single, but I always awake from those nightmares feeling blissfully free and unencumbered. Whatever happens, at least I'll never have those fights again.

Its a simple matter of perspective. Being single has its downsides, but I know it could be so much worse. If you are feeling bad about being single, try to make this work for you. Think about the stupidest, most persistent fight you ever had in a previous relationship. Really try to remember how frustrated, angry, sad, or crazy it made you feel. Now, think about being single. Which is worse? Personally, I think that being in the wrong relationship is like climbing up a hill with a backpack full of bricks. It just weighs you down. When you shed the backpack, you're still walking uphill, but its a whole lot easier. 

Happy almost-Valentine's Day to all of my friends, single and otherwise!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!