Saturday, February 12, 2011

17 seconds and 1.6 pounds.

This week, I came within a hair's breadth of two milestones:

1) Weighing under 150 pounds. Thanks to my long relationship with Weight Watchers online, I can tell you that the last time I weighed in under 150 was in November 2008. I started the new Weight Watchers this past November at 158.5, and I am now at 151.5. So, I am really trying to be diligent this week. Seeing a 14_ on the scale would be pretty phenomenal way to celebrate Valentine's Day!

2) Finishing a 5K in under 30 minutes. My brief racing career started with a Valentine's Day 5K in 2007. I finished that one in 34:15. Since then, I have done four others, with a previous PR of 30:22. Today, at the Annapolis Striders' Valentine's Day 5K, I really thought I would see the 29:59 I've been longing for. Unfortunately, I positioned myself way too far back at the start and spent probably the first half of the race weaving around people. At mile 2, I really kicked it into high gear- so much so that I was worried about throwing up at the finish! Ultimately, I crossed the finish line (without puking) at 30:16. So, a PR, but 17 seconds short of my goal. Next time!

Now, my two goals are having a little conflict. Given the fact that I've been doing 8-10 mile long runs for several weeks in preparation for a March half-marathon, I did not think that a mere 5K could leave me tired and starving. Boy, was I wrong! I have been either eating or dreaming of food ever since I got home from the race at 11:30. Around 1, my good friend Pat called and asked if I would like to watch a movie and eat chocolate cake tonight. It was like a phone call straight from my soul. So, I am currently baking a (homemade) chicken pot pie and waiting for the arrival of my friend and the cake. I will do my best to enjoy both in moderation.

Speaking of chicken pot pie, are you watching Top Chef All-Stars? This week's episode was (in my humble opinion) one of the most entertaining Top Chef episodes ever, and my favorite chef Carla Hall won with her own chicken pot pie. I loved Carla when she was on Top Chef New York, and my fandom increased exponentially when I learned that she is friends with two of my very favorite relatives- my uncle Joe and his fabulous wife Michele. Michele has told me that she is every bit as quirky, funny, and nice as she appears on TV. Joe has bragged that he cooked her crab soup and she asked for seconds. This season, I have enjoyed sending Michele emails and text messages the morning after each episode telling her how well Carla is doing. I am very much looking forward to sending the message saying that she's in the finale!

(Ideally, I will do that weighing 149 pounds, the morning after a 29-minute 5K.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!