Wednesday, January 26, 2011

This is why I go to church.

When I was in high school, I occasionally crossed paths with a guy named Chris. He graduated before my 9th grade year, and I'm not sure we ever spoke to each other, but he was still on my radar screen for a few reasons: I dated two friends of his (at different times), including his brother's best friend. That same brother was in my graduating class. And, perhaps most importantly, Chris played in a band that had real gigs from time to time, which made him a rock star by high school standards.

I always found Chris rather intimidating. In addition to the whole "rock star" thing, he was a big guy with long hair and a beard, making him appear older and cooler than anyone else close to my age. Whenever he was around, I let our mutual friends (aka: the brother and the two boyfriends) do the talking.

After every encounter with Chris, my friends and I would have the same conversation. Someone in the group- in a tone of disbelief- would say "Do you know that guy's a Christian? Like, a serious Christian." With our limited high school worldviews, it was hard to reconcile "long-haired rock band guy" with "goes to church every Sunday." At that time, I was questioning my Christian upbringing, and my friends had flat-out rejected all religion. In fact, most of them had some pretty harsh words for anyone who professed religious beliefs. They made an exception for Chris, though. They talked about his Christianity with some disbelief, but never scorn. Chris had the "older and cooler" factor working for him, and he was always very secure in his beliefs, which made him hard to criticize.

Intimidation aside, none of us could ever resist making the joke that Chris followed Jesus as both savior and fashion icon. He was working the heavy metal prophet look, as seen above.
Fast-forward far too many years to 2009. I looked up the Baltimore-Washington Conference of the United Methodist Church on Facebook and who did I find? Chris. Not surprisingly, the hair and beard are shorter and he's called Pastor Chris now. I sent him a message and let him in on the shocking news that our high school churned out two United Methodist seminary grads in the space of a few years. Ever since, I've been following his ministry on Facebook and his blog.

Last week, I saw this post, in which Chris talks about his recent decision to donate a kidney to a member of his church who needs a transplant. The two of them had their surgeries today and, as far as I know, are doing well. Giving up a vital organ for somone else- particularly someone who is not a spouse or blood relative- is an amazing gift. Chris is risking his own life and health to save another person. He's undergoing surgery, and all the pain and recovery that will follow. He even lost 50 pounds in order to be healthy enough for the procedure!  Its an unbeliveable sacrifice... and yet, no less than I would expect from him. Just like when we were in high school, Chris doesn't make a big fuss about being a Christian. He just goes about his days, pursuing the things he loves, but always, in his humble way, following Jesus.

Reading Chris' story reminds me why I believe that being part of a church or other community is essential to being a Christian. Church is where we learn to live out the radical, life-altering belief that all human beings are part of one family. For Chris, giving up a kidney for a fellow church member is no different than giving it up for a member of his biological family or for a close friend. One could argue that a fellow church member is a close friend, but I don't believe they are the same thing. With my friends, I share a long history of common experiences, shared interests, and shared beliefs. In my church, there are some members with whom I share common beliefs and experiences, but there are many more who I barely know and some with whom I passionately disagree. Yet, our shared faith calls us to be together as one family, working through our differences and sacrificing for one another whenever we have the opportunity. Its easy to be generous and giving to my family and friends. It can be hard work to do the same for my church community, but doing that work is what pushes me to be the person I feel called to be. If I can learn to do it in the church, then I can do it in the rest of the world too.

So, I know you hate to hear it, but thanks for setting an example all these years, Chris. The next time our paths cross, I'll actually speak to you.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome post, friend! And an awesome thing your friend is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Julia! I just saw a status update from him on FB. Apparently both parties are doing well and the kidney seems to be working!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gosh, Alicia... All I can say is thank you. It's a deeply humbling (and a little embarrassing, honestly!) to be mentioned this way. I couldn't help but get a little teary, too!
    Oops... I said a bit more than thank you. But thank you for sharing this story and for how encouraging and uplifting you are. You have a beautiful, authentic ministry of writing, presence, and service, Alicia. Keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alicia - thank you for your encouraging words about Chris. I remember the Sunday he walked into our church - with his long hair - beard - cutoff shorts and sandals. I remember that he was already a good human being - an eagle scout - and it wasn't long - that Chris accepted Jesus Christ as his Lord and Savior and it seemed a short time after that - he was working in our church - testing the waters of ministry.

    We have seen life have its ups and downs and we have watched how Chris has faced such times. We have watched his ministry develop and we were there when he was ordained in the United Methodist Church. We have prayed for him often as he has served our Lord. He has touched so many for Jesus.

    When I first heard about his selfless act of donating a kidney - I wasn't amazed - it was just something that Chris would do. I pray often for his healing and his continued ministry.

    Thanks for sharing your experiences with Chris - and for giving me a chance to share mine.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Chris! I didn't mean to embarass you, but you did make me reflect on what it means to be church. I had actually been thinking about it since I went to the hospital with appendicitis over the summer: I went to the ER with nausea. When I got there, I found a man I knew from church accompanying another (non-related) church member to the ER because she was having nausea too. He stayed there all day, running back and forth between the two of us, making sure we were okay. I remember thinking that- regardless of what you believe- these kinds of relationships make it worth going to church!

    Also, I recently say an old photo of you on Facebook and recalled the billion times I heard someone make a joke about how you both loved Jesus and looked like him. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!