Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Dear New England,

I hear that you are having something like what we in the mid-Atlantic experienced last year: the crazy double-blizzard. We called it "Snowpacalypse" and "Snowmageddon." Being New England, you may have thought that you were prepared for any level of snow. I imagine that you are now realizing there is no adequate preparation for something like this.

Its okay. If you handle this the right way, it may just be the most fun you have in your adult life. Here is my advice on some things to do while you wait for someone to come dig you out:

-Break out any video game systems you have laying around. The older, the better. Now is the time to finally finish Super Mario World.

-Take a short walk and shop in the only places that will be open: 7-11 and the liquor store. For the next several days, eat nothing but grilled cheese, mac and cheese, frozen pizza, canned soup, and Oreos. Pair these foods with fine wines and craft beers. Its the best of kid and adult snow days combined!

No need to refrigerate!
-Take point-of-reference photos to show exactly how high the snow gets (see above). Get shots of snow-covered yards, fences, and trash cans. Take out a yard stick and photograph that. Stand on mountatins of snow. Then, spend several hours posting those photos online with captions like "Oh snow you didn't!'

-Shovel early and often. This is how you will justify all of the junk food and booze. Exception: if you let the snow get to 3 or 4 feet without shovelling (as I did), pay a neighborhood kid to shovel. Whatever it costs will be worth it.

-Pick up hobbies and household chores that you have never had time for before (and probably won't ever again). Get out the fondue pot, waffle iron and ice cream maker you got as wedding or housewarming gifts. Dust off the sewing machine. Organize things. I photographed sentimential items of clothing and then bagged them up for charity.

-Read anything unrelated to work and/or school. I read the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

-If you are single, take advantage of every online dating site that is free or offers some kind of free-trial period. A week stuck at home is the ideal time to get the most out of those deals. Bonus: you may meet someone who will help you shovel.

Whatever you do, have fun and (unless there's a real emergency) don't complain! This is the staycation you have always wanted- enjoy!

Sincerely,
 Alicia

4 comments:

  1. If I comment, people will say, "But you're prepared for snow in Alaska." You know why we're prepared? It happens every year. And, New England, I've noticed a trend. Ahem.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen the totals for New England yet, but if its anything like what we had last year, I'll speak up in their defense. What we had last year was at least twice what I ever saw in New England. I think they are prepared for 1-2 feet; 3-4 is a whole other thing. I'm sure they will be out soon too, whereas I was inside for a week the first time and 10 days the second.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd forgotten how high the snow was in the yard...crazy!! Was thinking about those grilled cheese sandwiches though the other day when I made one =).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think about that every time I eat grilled cheese... so, at least once a week. :)

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!