Tuesday, August 28, 2012

August catch-up post #1: Dog Days

Its been a busy month. I've run three races, including my second Iron Girl and my first A10 (finally!). I had a preaching gig (see previous post). Andrew and I had our wedding tasting; stuffed our invitations; and selected bridesmaids' dresses, a flower girl dress, and tuxes. Today, we're celebrating the anniversary of our first date. Then, on Thursday, we head off on a mini-vacation. Whew!

With everything going on, I once again find myself very behind in my blogging. So, here is the first of three update posts, in chronological order: a race report on the Dog Days XC 8K, which Andrew and I ran on August 5th.

Charging up the hills with my running coach, Susan. 

This race was another case of managing expectations. On race morning, I tried to remind myself that I'm behind in my training and running slower right now, so I just need to do my best and accept where I am. Instead, I kept thinking about the 2011 Dog Days. I ran that race at the height of my 2011 IronGirl training, when I was in the best shape of my life. I warmed up with a 45-minute bike ride and still PR'd by almost 3 minutes.

Not so much this year. On the plus side, I got to run most of the race with my lovely running coach Susan. Catching up with her kept my mind off things for about the first 3 miles, leaving only the final 2 to slog through on my own. On the down side, I finished in 56:42, making this year's Dog Days time my slowest yet. I was pretty bummed about that.

Andrew ran this race too- his first experience running on trails. Here he is following my advice about finishing strong:


In related news, Andrew and I are just over one month into our time at Weight Watchers (his first time, my return). So far, so good! He's down about 7 pounds, I'm down about 4.5. As I wrote a couple posts ago, I had to be dragged kicking-and-screaming back to Weight Watchers in my out-of-shape state. Now, though, I'm so glad we're there. I know that taking some weight off and getting back on a more consistent training schedule are the things that will get be back to my previous fitness, and now I feel like I'm moving in the right direction. Also, its nice to have company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!