Saturday, October 8, 2011

Special deliveries.

I am currently run-down with a cold and an intense job hunt, which are hampering both my training and my blogging. I have been trying to calm my anxiety by reminding myself that I still have nearly a month (29 days, to be precise) before the marathon- plenty of time to bounce back! My mail, however, is not cooperating with this anxiety reduction plan.

Yesterday, I came home and found this in my mail pile:


That's the official NYC marathon runner's handbook, complete with this terror-inducing map:


See what that is? Its all of NYC. I probably wouldn't try to drive that in one day, but apparently I am going to run it.

Today, I got more marathon-related mail:


This is my one-of-a-kind, extra-special marathon shirt, designed by the lovely and talented Rachel Pollack of St. Lydia's. The front is awesome, but the back is even better:


How great is that? I hope and expect that any runner who sees that after about mile 15 will think "These St. Lydia's people know exactly what I need right now!"

While these special deliveries are a little scary, they are also very exciting. Once I kick this cold, I hope they will give me the boost I need to finish my training strong. This is going to be an amazing experience, and I want to be able to enjoy it!

Remember to visit St. Lydia's at http://www.stlydias.org/ and offer your support through a visit, a prayer, and/or a donation!

1 comment:

  1. That map is indeed terrifying! Yikes. You shall do it!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!