Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Walking, I've missed you.

For the next two weeks of our training plan, we are scaling back the Saturday long runs. This means that we are stepping up the weekday mileage, otherwise known as my weakness. If things had gone according to plan yesterday, I would have done my usual Group Power class at 6am, followed by a treadmill run.

But things didn't go according to plan. I was working from home yesterday morning, which meant that, if I skipped the gym, I could have a little extra time to sleep. Apparently, after Saturday's 18-miler and Sunday's preaching double-header, my body wanted that sleep. The alarm went off at 5:30, and I think my whole body laughed. I turned off the alarm and slept until 9.

So, when I got home from work, I knew I needed to do the evening GP class and also maybe get a run in. Katie was around and able to go to with me, so we opted to maximize her final guest pass at my gym and do spinning immediately followed by GP. That's an intense 2 hours. After that, we hit Mexican Cafe, an Annapolis locals' favorite, known for crazily strong margaritas. Maybe not the wisest choice late at night, but I couldn't let Katie end her time in Annapolis without going there at least once.

This morning, the plan was to hit Quiet Waters park for a fairly challenging morning run. Katie and I actually managed to get up close to on time, which I thought was pretty impressive. When we got to the park, though, I think we were both feeling the cumulative effect of spinning + Group Power + super-strong margarita. We gave the running a valiant effort, but quickly downgraded to a walk.

About halfway through the park, I realized that I can't remember the last time I actually went for a walk on purpose. Nowadays, when I walk, its generally because I can't possibly run another second. It took awhile to shut off the guilty voice in my head that was screaming "You should be running!", but once I did, it was nice to actually slow down and enjoy the scenery while breathing normally for a change.

So, walking, I'm sorry I forgot just how pleasant you can be!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!