Tuesday, May 24, 2011

What did happen this weekend.

I promise I was happy, but the sun was in my eyes!

I think we all know by now what didn't happen this weekend, so I'll talk about what did happen:

1) I graduated! My mom and I attended a banquet for just the pastoral counseling department Friday night, and then the main Loyola graduation on Saturday. It was all very nice. The Loyola PC faculty really made a point of showing up to everything, meeting our families, and expressing their pride. It was much appreciated. My mom commented that "Everyone is so nice- but I guess you picked the right field for that." I couldn't have said it better!

2) My tri-training class revisited our first workout: a bike ride followed by a mile run. I still struggled, but I was much improved over the first time around. Kate, my boot camp instructor, was subbing for one of our other coaches this week, and she did me the enormous favor of making some adjustments to my bike. I had the bike fitted, but I apparently needed a second opinion, because Kate's changes made a HUGE difference. For weeks, I've been watching other people zip along on their bikes thinking "How are they doing that?" As soon as Kate adjusted the bike, I thought "Oh, that's how!"

I also knocked about a minute off my mile-run time. I was expecting an improvement, as I did our last mile-run just a few hours after a 10-mile race, but I was still (pleasantly) surprised by my time. The odd thing is that the last mile-run felt effortless and this one was a struggle from start to finish. I finally got a diagnosis for my mystery illness (see previous post)- a sinus infection. I've been taking antibiotics for a week, which has made things much better, but also moved everything that was trapped in my head and chest down into my throat and stomach. Thus, this week's run was all about nausea from start to finish. Kate was running next to me, giving me what I am sure was good advice, but I was too busy willing myself not to throw up to listen. I finally had to slow down a bit toward the end, which I hate doing, but not as much as I hate puking in public!

Now, I am off to a young adult ministry conference in NJ followed by my 10-year college reunion (woo-hoo!).* I am looking forward to both things, but I am actually sad about being away from the gym! Fortunately, I have worked time to run into my schedule and I am spening one night in a hotel with a gym and pool. So, hopefully I won't be too behind when I get back next week.

*Attention internet opportunists: my roommate will be home all week, so go rob someone else!*  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!