Saturday, March 26, 2011

If I can do this...

As you may or may not know, I am in my final semester of study for my master's in Pastoral Counseling. I am also in a mentorship/discernement process regarding ordination in the United Methodist Church. What does this mean? Basically, that I've spent the past several months taking psychological tests and thinking/writing/talking about my personal and professional strengths and weaknesses. I think about me all the time, and let others think about me, and take tests so that we can all learn more about me. Its a little exhausting. Right now I would give anything to think, talk, or write about someone else!

As much as I complain, though, I can't say I haven't learned anything in this process. Between the tests, the self-analysis, and the observations of others, I am starting to grasp various elements of my personality that felt mysterious before. For example, one of the tests identified my dominant personality trait as "openness to experience." Seeing that on paper was one of those "lightbulb moments." The term "openness to experience" captures so many things about me. For example, my willingness to dive into intense work situations (like working at the morgue). Or, the way I get bored easily and have trouble making decisions because I like everything. Or, all the crazy dates I've been on because, as my friends always say, I'll give just about anyone a chance.

Since becoming aware of this trait, I see it everywhere. At the gym this morning, I was waiting for spin class to start when a woman approached me and said "This is my first class- what should I expect?" She looked a little out-of-shape and a lot nervous, so I told her the truth about my first spin class: I went into it at a fitness level barely above 0. During the class, I felt like I was going to pass out and never got the gear over 7 (it goes to 25). Shortly after class, I fell off a bottom step because my legs were like jello. I also told her that I kept coming back and improved really quickly. She laughed and said I made her feel much better.

As I got on my bike, I realized that I've had similar exchanges in other exercise situations too. Newcomers to our boot camp class frequently hear about how I threw up on my first day. Before my friend ran her first 5K last week (for which she was well prepared), I told her about how I arrived at my first 5K thinking that 5K equals 2.3 miles. When I learned that its actually 3.1, I panicked a little because I had never run more than 2. All of these stories have the same basic messages: The first step is the hardest. Trying something new can be scary, but the payoff is worth it. If I can do this, pretty much anyone can.

So, if you are looking for motivation to try something new- in or out of the gym- try embracing a little openness to experience. If I can do it, you sure as heck can!

2 comments:

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!