Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Big numbers!

Today, I saw two big numbers:

The first, you can see as well. All you have to do is look at the ticker on the right- 1,001 miles run! That's all the miles that I have recorded on my Nike+ since I started using it in February 2007 (for my thoughts on Nike+, see my 9/16/10 post). Most of those miles, though, are from 2010. Here's the breakdown:

2007- 52 miles (I really thought I did better that year!)
2008- 65 miles (No surprise there- this includes half of the "dark days" of '08-'09.)
2009- 116 miles (Starting to come out of the dark days...)
2010- 634 miles (The dark days are over!)
2011- 110 miles (So far.)

At this point, I do not expect to beat 2010 this year, but that's because I'm adding in biking and swimming in preparation for the tri in August. Still, I'm very excited to see the 1,000.

The other big number I saw this morning came on the scale- down 2.5 pounds from last week! That is very, very unusual for me. Even when I first did WW and lost very quickly, I tended to go down .5 to 1 pound per week. This time out, the average has been 1-2 pounds per month. For me, 2.5 is a very big number. I can think of a few reasons why this happened, positive and negative:

On the positive side, I have been sticking to my Lenten resolution of no extraneous spending, which has meant no take-out or impulse Starbucks trips. This is saving me both money and calories. Also, the "Biggest Mover" contest at my gym is still on, meaning that I am still getting to at least 5 group exercise classes each week.

On the less positive side, I am headed into major crunch-time regarding school. Between now and Mother's Day, I will complete all of my work for the semester and take my licensing exam. Also, just to keep things interesting, I will run 3 races and travel to 2 weddings (one of which involves a relay triathlon, aka: race #4). Thus, life is a little crazy right now, and I have replaced some of my usual food and sleep with panic. The situation is vaguely reminiscent of my senior year in college, when I was overwhelmed by writing my thesis and inadvertently lost a good 10-15 pounds. Not my preferred weight loss strategy.

So, in the interest of preserving some of my sanity, I will now try to subdue my panic enough to get some sleep. Goodnight, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!