Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Tour de Pain

As noted yesterday (see below), my new favorite orthopedist has declared my ankle healed and cleared me to resume exercise. All in all, I only wound up taking 3 full days off, but it felt like forever. On a normal Tuesday, I run in the morning and then go for a spin class followed by a short treadmill run in the evening. (Or, on a lazy Tuesday, I sleep through the morning run and put in extra time in the evening.) Yesterday, the morning run was out due to the doctor's appointment and I decided to try just the spin class in the evening.

The good news is that the ankle feels fine. The bad news is that I did not realize my dream of coming into class full of vigor from my days of rest and pushing my performance to new heights. Instead, by 10 minutes into our Tour de France-themed class, I felt like I had been pedaling for 2241 miles.* I felt like I had taken 3 weeks off rather than 3 days. A little discouraging, but hopefully I'll be back to normal soon.

I did another modified workout this morning: just Group Power, instead of Group Power followed by treadmill. This was partially because I'm still taking it easy and partially because I had to run home and make food for a potluck (yum). Unlike the spinning, that class felt totally normal (though I did go easy on the weight). If time permits, I'm going to try my first actual run since the fall this evening. Wish me luck!

*Actual length of the Tour de France. Thank you, internet!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!