Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Good news from the doctor!

I had my appointment with the orthopedist at 7:30 this morning. Given the fact that my ankle feels totally fine now, I felt a little silly going at all, much less showing up with my enormous Xrays. The last time I saw an orthopedist (at the otherwise amazing Shock Trauma in Baltimore), I recall being made to feel like my relatively minor injury was wasting his time. As I was walking back to his office, I actually overheard him read my referral and comment to a colleague "Oh please. Show me something that's actually broken."

Fortunately, this morning's visit was not like that at all. The only attitude I got was from the receptionist, who was super-agitated when I and several other patients showed up 20 minutes early for our appointments as we had been instructed. She had us wait in the hall until 7:15, when she opened the door and stated that she doesn't start work until 7:20, so we could come in, but we would have to sit and wait. I foolishly asked if I should be filling out paperwork while waiting and was told "yes, but you can sit down and wait until I'm ready to give it to you." Sorry I asked.

When the doctor called me back, I recited the whole story for him. I emphasized that I'm not generally someone who over-reacts to pain (see yesterday's post); my ankle really hurt for awhile and now it really feels fine. He seemed to understand and said that he sees similar situations with runners often. As long as the pain is gone, he told me I could resume training and gave me some topical cream in case the pain comes back. We chit-chatted about marathons for a few minutes and he sent me on my way.

(And- to her credit- the receptionist was perfectly polite when I left. So I'm going to assume she was just having a bad morning.)

So, with the all-clear, I'm going to go to spin class tonight and see how things go. Game on!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!