Monday, July 19, 2010

Feel-good story of the day (and other news).

Today's New York Times features a great story about a man who recovered from open-heart surgery and then challenged his heart surgeon to do a triathlon with him. You can read it at http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/19/sports/19racers.html. This story really spoke to me because this marathon experience has brought so many new people into my life and deepened my relationship with others in ways I never would have imagined. When I was taking classes from Dr. Murray in 2007 and 2008, I knew that she inspired me to push myself, but I never imagined that her example would push me into something like this!

Its been a very busy few days, so here are some highlights:

I made it back to boot camp this past Thursday. As usual, our awesome instructor Kate took us for a run outside and mixed it with a series of drills. As an added bonus, she set her watch alarm to go off every 5 minutes. Whenever it went off, we stopped wherever we happened to be and did 20 pushups followed by 20 mountain-climbers. During the class itself, I thought that the mountain-climbers were the easy part (relatively speaking). Then, my alarm went off Friday morning and I realized I couldn't sit up. My lower abs have been sore ever since. Doing anything in plank position is virtually impossible and anything involving sitting up is extra-difficult. (Note to self: work on lower abs!)

On Friday afternoon, I had lunch with my fabulous fundraising/training partner Katie Cashin. We made plans to distribute our newly-printed business cards (ask me for one!) and for our fundraising party series, Jock Jam Annapolis and Jock Jam Baltimore. More about that soon. That night, I went to see a show by my friends' amazing band, the Pushovers. You should check them out immediately at http://www.thepushoversband.com/. 1/3 of the band is my friend Nancy, who has wanted to be a musician throughout the many years I've known her and, over the past few years, has really made it happen. I could not be more proud of her!

On Saturday morning, I ran the John Wall 1-mile race with the Annapolis Striders. I haven't raced a mile since the Presidential physical fitness test my freshman year in high school, but somehow I remember that I did that in around 9 minutes. So, that was the only benchmark I had to go on. I put myself in the 8:30-9:30 heat and hoped I wouldn't come in last. I finished in 8:27, 18/23 people in my heat (clearly, I was not the only one guessing at which heat to be in). Not bad, but I think I could do much better with a little speed work. (Note to self: do speedwork!)

On Saturday afternoon, my family and I celebrated the 3rd birthday of my niece Greta (see post below) and then I came home and celebrated by return to the world of meat-eating by roasting a chicken:



It tasted even better than it looked. I was bursting with pride. Katie (my roommate) made some delicious light macaroni and cheese from the Rocco DiSpirito cookbook Now Eat This! and we had a terrific dinner.

Sunday morning, Katie and I worked off part of that dinner with a 6.5 mile-run downtown and around the Naval Academy. It was my first long-ish run on a hot day since hurting my ankle, and I can't say I put in a stellar performance, but I always enjoy morning runs in Annapolis. Its nice to run through a downtown that isn't packed with tourists and greet all of the other early-morning runners, fishermen, and crabbers. Katie and I went to church afterward, but we both had a hard time focusing because we were dreaming of the naps we would take when we got home.

Finally, this morning, Katie and I went to the 6am launch of the new Group Power release at my gym. The launch days are always fun- the instructors go all-out with themes, costumes, and prizes and the classes are usually packed. This morning was the first time my regular instructors Bill and Kelly led the launch, and they both did a great job. During the class, I didn't think it was that hard, but I'm already feeling the all-consuming hunger and soreness which tell me I was working harder than I thought.

That's all for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!