Saturday, July 10, 2010

Not a great start to the weekend.

The plan for today was to join my sister on her first 5K ever and run to and from the race in order to add enough extra miles to equal a 12-mile long run. Instead, today is all about RICE: rest, ice, compression, and elevation. Awesome.

The trouble started yesterday morning. I took a half-day from work in order to make up some of the training I missed while I was on half a dozen planes and in WA (see post from earlier this week). My awesome and very athletic roommate agreed to join me at 6:30am for a trail run, followed by a visit to the new Annapolis recreation center at Truxton Park to use the track. For me, the run was rough from the beginning. It was hot and I had barely done anything all week (see other post from earlier this week). By the time we reached the trail, I was really struggling and Katie was way ahead.

About halfway through the trail, I tripped on a tree root and fell, twisting my ankle. I got up and tried walking on it. It definitely hurt, but not too bad. I walked on it for a few minutes and the pain went away. By the time Katie realized I was missing and came back to check on me, it felt fine. I resumed running and was fine for the rest of the trail, a mile run on the track, and the mile walk home. The most painful part of the whole thing was at the rec center, when I put some hand sanitizer on the abrasion on my left leg (yikes!).

After I got home and had a snack, I felt good enough to walk to the gym for group power. I made it through the class fine, no pain at all. Then, during the cool down, I noticed that my ankle hurt whenever I put my weight on my right side. It got steadily worse as I walked home. Within 30 minutes of arriving home, it was excruciating and I couldn't put weight on it at all. I actually crawled to the bathroom at one point because trying to walk was just too painful.

Two hours of icing and elevation later, things were no better, so I made a doctor's appointment and took some Advil. Naturally, as soon as I had an appointment, I started to feel a little better. Katie took me to the doctors where they talked to me like I was both reckless and crazy. "You ran after you fell? And then you went to the gym???" I kept trying to explain that the ankle didn't hurt until after the gym, but I don't think anyone really heard me. The doctor sent me for xrays and gave me a referral to an orthopedist. Then my mom, who asked the same incredulous questions as the doctors, gave me one of the crutches I used 10 years ago when I was in a bad car accident.

Today, the ankle feels much, much better. Its shocking how much it hurt yesterday and how little it hurts today. I go to the orthopedist Tuesday and I'm praying that he'll tell me I can get back to training soon. I really don't want to get too far off track. Plus, working out has become such a huge part of my routine that I hate missing it.

In more positive news, I tried my first recipe from Rocco DiSpirito's new light cookbook, Now Eat This! (http://amzn.com/0345520904) and it was delicious! Definitely a book to try. Also, my awesome sister Meghan and my niece's friend Liza persevered through pouring rain this morning to run that 5K- a first for both of them. So, congratulations to Meghan and Liza!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!