Sunday, August 21, 2011

IronGirl!


Marie and I pre-race, trying to stay calm.
I survived! IronGirl/tri #1 is in the books now, and it was awesome. Shockingly, I don't have much energy for post-race processing at the moment (or for much other than sitting and eating), but here's a quick run-down and some photos:

Around 7AM, we had an unexpected downpour. This is the finish seen through the rain. The result: a delayed start and VERY soggy shoes!
Arrival: I heeded all the dire warnings and got there super-early. My mom (who is a trooper) and I left Annapolis at 4:15AM and were there by 5. I was set up by about 5:15 and then just had to wait until I went in the water at 8:10. I might not go so early again, as I had way too much time to sit around and get nervous. The upshot, though, was that I also had time to go to the bathroom a bunch of times and I did not have to stop mid-race (a rarity).

My mom got this great shot of my swim wave going off.
The Swim: All of my panicked, last-minute swim training definitely paid off. I'm pretty sure I knocked at least 5 minutes off my dress rehearsal time. I still back-stroked much of it, but it was a much more coordinated effort this time out- I never felt like I was just out there flailing around. Also, it went by pretty quickly, as opposed to the dress rehearsal which felt endless. So, I left the water feeling pretty good.

Transition #1: I will be interested to see my transition times when the results come out, because I felt like I moved pretty quickly. Swim-to-bike it the more complicated transition and it went really smoothly. Again, I was VERY lucky to (randomly) get a prime spot in the transition area.

The Bike: Like the swim, this went better than expected. I still feel so inexperienced on the bike that I was worried I would just get in the way of other riders. Fortunately, my first bike race was much like my first running race: I quickly realized the plenty of people were no more skilled or better prepared, and quite a few were less so. This was actually the first time I really enjoyed the bike ride, and it went by pretty fast. My one problem was that I have a hard time taking a drink and putting my bottle back while riding. As a result, I'm pretty sure I did not hydrate or re-fuel enough, and I paid for it on the run.

Transition #2: This was very simple, especially since I rode my bike in my running shoes. I did take a minute to take the huge drink of water I had been dreaming about my whole bike ride!

The Run: I expected this to be "my" leg of the tri, but it was BRUTAL. I did quite a few multi-sport workouts in my training, but nothing prepared me for this level of accumulated fatigue. The super-hilly course and the fact that everyone around me seemed to be walking did not help. I got through mile 1 without walking, but I think I walked more of 2 than I ran. Then, as I finished mile 2, my friend Scott met me on the trail. He ran with me for most of the last mile, which was just the motivation I needed to get to the finish line running. By the time I hit the finish, I was in the midst of a wave of stomach cramps that persisted for the next half-hour... but I was still really happy!

Marie and I celebrate being IronGirls!
 
Walking over to greet friends and family. My mom missed me at the finish line, but I don't mind because the reason is that I came in 10 minutes earlier than expected!
Recovery: As I mentioned, I had a fun little bout of stomach cramps post-race, but they subsided after about 30 mins of sitting, a snack, and some water. Now, I am at home addressing my insatiable post-race hunger and trying to sneak in a nap. I have a massage appointment first thing in the morning, for which I am very grateful!

A favorite post-race recovery tool, and the closest I want to get to an Ironman.
All in all, this was an amazing day! I am as giddy as I had hoped to be after MCM, and as I hope I will be again after NYC! Thanks for all your support, friends!

1 comment:

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!