Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My people.

As part of my graduation from Loyola, I attended a lovely banquet just for Pastoral Counseling students, faculty, and staff. One of my classmates was asked to represent all of the graduates and speak about his experience as a PC department student. The first thing he shared was a feeling he had during his first days in the program: "Finally, I've found my people!" I have thought the same thing a few times in my life, and last week I was reminded of two of those times.

From last Tuesday-Thursday, I participated in a conference on integrating social justice into young adult ministry. The conference was hosted by Romero Center Ministries in Camden, NJ, an amazing organization that brings people to one of the poorest communities in the nation in order to learn about and participate in social justice ministries. Unfortunately, I came down with food poisoning as soon as I arrived in Camden. I got there around 3pm Tuesday, almost immediately went to my room to lie down, and spent the next 24 hours having what I will describe as the classic "first night in Mexico" experience. Food poisoning is unpleasant all by itself, but as a bonus, I was staying in a dorm and sharing a bathroom with about 25 people. Good times.

I didn't fully join the conference until Wednesday afternoon, by which point things were winding down. Yet, despite my late arrival, the other people at the conference embraced me right away. Most of them were young adults (20's-30's) doing a variety of ministries all over the country. In the workshops and presentations, they were full of insights and ideas. In the downtime, they were full of energy and eager to get to know each other. Pretty much every night of the conference, people stayed up until 1 or 2am, singing songs, talking, and dancing. Even after the conference ended Thursday morning, people didn't want to leave. We were supposed to break at 11am, but most of us chose to stay in Camden and eat lunch together. I didn't get on the road until nearly 3pm.

Being at this conference reminded me of how I felt in seminary (at Yale Divinity School). Even after I made the decision go to seminary and completed all of my applications and interviews, I was unsure if I really belonged there, or in ministry at all. Those doubts all disappeared when I arrived and got to know my fellow students. Just as my PC classmate described, I had an overwhelming feeling of "these are my people!" Obviously, a wide variety of people go into ministry, but I found that most of us had some big things in common: passion, creativity, hospitality, a love of people, and an inability to accept things as they are as opposed to as they should be. It was great to be around people like that again, especially as I discern how I want my own ministry to unfold.

After the conference, I spent one blissful night in a hotel (a new mattress! a pool! a private bathroom!) before heading to another place where I once found "my people": my 10-year college reunion. I went to Bryn Mawr College, which is a small and academically rigorous women's college in PA. When I was 18, a women's college was not an obvious choice for me. Growing up, I had mostly male friends and often had a hard time relating to other girls/women. Yet, something drew me to Bryn Mawr, and it was absolutely the right place for me. Its hard to describe what it means to spend four years surrounded by other passionate, determined, smart, and talented women. The best word I can think of is "inspiring."

One change since the 5-year Reunion: lots more babies!
A popular Reunion activity is the "Step Sing," where we gather around an old building and sing songs about our college experience. This also happens 3 times during every college year. I don't think things like this would fly at co-ed schools.

This was my second reunion, and both times I was as happy to be in the presence of the older alumnae as I was to catch up with my own friends. Every BMC reunion ends with a parade of classes, where the classes line up from youngest to oldest. The youngest classes go first, and then turn around to cheer on the older classes. By the time you get to the end- the handful of women celebrating their 70th Reunion and beyond- you can't help but think of the trails all of these older women have blazed. When some of them were born, women didn't even have the right to vote! They went to college in an era where educating women was considered radical, and many of them became leaders in formerly male-dominated fields. I always leave Bryn Mawr feeling like I owe it to these past generations of women to follow their examples and become a leader in my own field. I really needed that reminder this year.


My new favorite class- 1961- in the parade. These women knew how to have a good time!
So, now I am back and planning my post-grad school future with new energy. I need to go where my people are!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!