Wednesday, September 12, 2012

August catch-up post #2: IronGirl Columbia.

Is this the gun show? 

For my second of three August catch-up posts: a race recap of the 2012 IronGirl Columbia triathlon!

I signed up for my second IronGirl on the morning after the 2011 NYC marathon. At that point, I was at the height of a great year of racing and looking forward to the next year. A few weeks later, IronGirl announced a new event: a second women's tri, in September, at a resort in western MD. At that point, I was still looking forward to 2012 as a big racing year, so I didn't hesitate to sign up for IronGirl#2! A couple months later, I signed up for the 2012 Marine Corps Marathon.

I think we all know what happened after that. To my great surprise, 2012 changed from "year of big races" to "year I get married." Except, of course, all those races are still on my schedule. My training is WAY behind, so I approached IronGirl Columbia with dread. I expected it to be a fiasco. At best, I thought I would feel awful by about mid-way through the bike leg. At worst, I thought I might not finish. In the days leading up to the race, I told all my friends that it would be a disaster and I meant it.

Now, I am happy to report that my fears were exaggerated. My 2012 race was definitely slower than 2011, but I actually felt better.  Here's the rundown:

The Swim

If you look closely, you can see me chatting with my friend Andrea before wading in! 

Whatever swimming magic came over me during the dress rehearsal in July, it continued on race day. I stunned myself by freestyling the whole thing! I have no idea how I managed this. My hunch is that it was a combination of TRX (which has strengthened all my swimming muscles) and slowing down. Usually, I switch to backstroke when I need to catch my breath. This time, I kept the pace down and never had to catch my breath. I came in over 3 minutes slower than last year (37:44 vs. 34:24), but I was still ecstatic.

Transitions

Transitions are the one area of triathlon where I usually make it out from the back of the pack. Being a type-A super-organizer comes in really handy at transition time! This time, though, I was trying some new things: bike shoes and a Camelbak for the bike leg. I didn't take the time to practice those things, and getting it all together took a bit longer than it should have. I'll be more ready next year.

The Bike

Smiling because I haven't fallen off! 

Last year, I was most afraid of the swim leg of IG. This year, all of that anxiety transferred to the bike. As in any triathlon, the bike leg of IG is more than half the race. The IG bike course is also hilly and HARD. I knew I had not trained for it, and I was afraid that I would fall apart on the first hill. Adding to my anxiety was my new clipless pedals. I started using them a few weeks before the race because they help on hills, but I am still getting used to clipping in and clipping out... and, by "still getting used to," I mean "still falling off my bike on most rides." In the final weeks before the race, I made a strategy for avoiding wipeouts during the race, and I practiced it successfully, but I was still worried. What if I fell off in front of all the spectators during the mount or the dismount? Even worse, what if I fell off on the course and caused other riders to fall?

Thankfully, my "no wipeout" strategy worked. In a nutshell, I avoided clipping in until I was very secure on the bike, and I clipped out long before I needed to stop. I am also happy to report that, in addition to not falling off, I also did not fall apart. The hills were challenging, but I made it. In fact, I think I did about as well as last year. My overall time was a little slower (1:31 vs. 1:26), but I think the extra 5 minutes came from a bathroom break I didn't take last year. One improvement over last year was my hydration. Having realized that I am incapable of grabbing a water bottle while riding, I switched to a Camelbak and it worked like a charm!

The Run

Starting my final sprint! 

The run was where I experienced the full disadvantage of being a young and slow swimmer. At IG, the younger athletes enter the water in the latest swim waves. Being in the "30-34/ last name A-L" wave, I was 3rd from last starting the swim. Being a slow swimmer, I exited the water with people from the last leg. Given that I'm a pretty slow biker too, I didn't pass many of those slower swimmers on the bike. So, by the time I got to the run leg, I was among the final racers left on the course.

What happens when you start a run course late? The course is crowded with non-racers just out for a stroll in the park. Also, many of the racers still left on the course are walking. The IG run course is very challenging on its own, without having to weave around people out for a stroll or avoid the temptation to join the walkers all around you. I managed to keep my head in the game for miles 1 and 3, but I lost it a bit in mile 2. There were a lot of hills in that mile, and I did a lot of walking. In the end, I finished a little slower than last year (39:23 vs. 38:57), but my finish was stronger. Last year, I jogged over the line and was immediately seized by stomach cramps. This year, I managed a finishing sprint and felt great!

Overall

My overall time for this race was 2:56:32. Just over 10 minutes slower than last year's 2:46:22. I'm always disappointed when I see a slower race result, but given the fact that I was expecting a disaster, I have to be happy with that. After the race, I caught up with the many friends who also did the race this year: several Wonder Women, two high school friends, a college classmate, one of my trainers from the gym, and a Loyola classmate who was there as a cheerleader.

My friend Caitlin and I representing South River High School class of '97! 

As always, this was the best part of the whole event. It feels great to be part of such an active, fit group of friends! One IronGirl down, one to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!