Friday, October 28, 2011

Watch me.

Looking for me at the marathon? I'll be wearing this.

At noon today (10/28), the NYC marathon people are releasing this year's runner tracking apps. So, today feels like a good day to write about all the ways you can watch and/or track me on race day!

First, the apps. Info about them can be found here. It looks like there's a free web-based tracking system, and and also an app that costs $2.99. The NY Times did a write-up about both options yesterday, which you can read here. To use these services, you need to know my bib number, which is 64582. Also, an important note about tracker apps/software: While they almost always work just fine, things can go wrong with the system. Just a couple weekends ago, the Baltimore Marathon experienced some kind of major malfunction with its tracking system and then got deluged with calls from panicked people who could not find their runners. So, if you can't find me on the trackers for some reason, please do not assume that I have dropped out or died. 

The apps will help you find me along the course, which you can view here. Take a look at the first 8 miles. I will be in the green wave, starting at 10:40am. So, at certain times in miles 1-8, I will be on a different side of the street from the other waves. Pay attention to the colors on the map so you know where to find me.

In terms of time, my wave starts at 10:40am and the race organizers expect us all to cross the start line by 10:50am. My goal for this race is to run a pace of 11:00-11:30 minute miles and come in under 5 hours. So, that would put me at the finish a little before 4pm. However, it is very hard to predict times for a long event like this, so don't rely too much on my projections. This is where the tracker apps can come in handy.

Where should you go to watch, and what should you do there? The marathon organizers offer some great advice here. I will add that you should yell my name very loudly if you see me, and please do not be offended if I still miss you. I am very easily distracted by the combination of sights, other people, and pain. Also, please do not feel like you need to bring me snacks (some spectators do that). I'm going to carry my own fluids and food. If you simply feel you must bring something, I am partial to lemon-lime Gatorade and pretzels.

Thank you so much for your interest in my race and I can't wait to see some of you along the course!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments are welcome, but please keep in mind that my profs, classmates, colleagues, and church friends may be reading and keep it appropriate. Thanks!